The Best I Can Be

  • Tuesday, February 9, 2010

  • 1. Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." John 6:35

    2. Again therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12

    3. "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:9

    4. "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep." John 10:11

    5. Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies." John 11:25

    6. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." John 14:6

    7. "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15:5

    This past Sunday we encountered Jesus' seventh and final "I AM" statement concerning Himself. This statement is shared only with His disciples following the declaration that He must shortly suffer great things and leave them. He has even revealed that one of them will actually betray Him! This painful conversation is the context for Jesus' seventh declarative concerning Himself...I am the vine...

    Christ, as the vine, is the source of "fruit" - His job is to produce this fruit, our job is to bearthe fruit. On our own, we are powerless and lifeless to yield fruit - the branches must be connected directly to the vine. Apart from Him, we can do nothing...we can do "no thing"!

    Our Christian life needs to be marked by continual growth. The branches, if they don't appear to be bearing fruit, are first lifted from the ground by the vinedresser in hopes that they will draw nourishment from the vine and be productive. And once fruit does appear, the branch is pruned in order to produce as much fruit as possible.

    Pruning seems severe and even painful at the moment, but its effect is only seen after time has passed. Our Father, the vinedresser, and His Son, the vine, desire deeply that we bear fruit in abundance!

    So what's a branch to do? Abide...stay close, stay connected...pray, read His Word. If we abide in Him, we will enjoy peace and joy.

    "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27

    "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full." John 15:11

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment