"Where Have My Sins Gone?" 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

  • Friday, March 16, 2012

  • Three life-transforming words; liberation from the burden of my past in one simple statement.

    "Such were…but…"

    King David, a man a whole lot more like us than we are comfortable confessing, wrote it this way: "Remember not the sins of my youth or my acts of willful rebellion." Psalm 25:7

    The downward pull of past failures continually haunted his memory. "For I know my transgression, and my sin is ever before me."  Psalm 51:3

    So many are stymied in their desire to grow deeper in Jesus because of the unshakeable, unavoidable nagging regrets of sins past. The shameful images frequently appear in our rearview mirrors and effectively rob us of the joy and freedom of salvation; in fact, almost like those small letters across the bottom of the mirror, "Objects may be closer than they appear." (Why does a classic Farside flash into my mind right now? J)

    With the continual downward tug of sins past eroding resistance to temptation and convincing many of their impotence for future Christian service, Paul writes words of both warning and encouragement. "The unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God." Sobering wake up! Then three life-transforming words: "Such were…but…" The hilarious joy of sins completely forgotten!

    So, where HAVE my sins gone?

    See you Sunday, Church!

    Pastor Tom

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment