The Heat of the Day

  • Tuesday, May 17, 2011
  • So, there I was, sitting quietly by my tent. It was hot and I wanted to catch a bit of fresh air. Inside the tent it was too hot and stuffy. I was reflecting on the events of my life. I’d been faithful, well for the most part. God told me to go with Lot and our families and livestock and He’d lead us to a land where we could settle. A land of plenty. Was this it? After 49 years we’re in a hot valley with just a few trees to provide a bit of shade. Sure doesn’t seem that there’s enough here to support a family, let alone a great nation of people. He’d also told me that He would give me a son who would be the first in a long line of many people becoming a great nation. Sarah’s barren, and now we’re old and there’s no hope of having children. What have I done? What was I thinking?
     

    And Lot was gone. We separated and he went to Sodom and Gomorrah. It seemed like a good place, on that river with others around to buy his livestock. Maybe Lot had the right idea. There seemed to be plenty there to support a family. But, I’d heard stories about how terrible it was there. The awful things people did to one another. It just didn’t seem right.

    But, here I am, out here under these trees by my tent in this desolate place. It’s so hot no one is moving at all. But wait, there are some men coming my way. There are three of them. What could they be doing out here in the middle of nowhere? I ran to them, bowed down and offered to wash their feet. I called to Sarah to prepare a meal. We killed a calf and we shared a meal. That’s the way life is, just when you think there’s no hope left, someone crosses your path and life takes on meaning again.

    One of them asked about Sarah. He knew my wife’s name! Imagine that. I told Him she was in the tent and commented on our years wandering in this desolate place. I said we were old, tired, lonely and had given up. Then, you’ll never guess what He said. “I will surely return to you at this time next year; and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son.” Genesis 18:10

    There was a snicker in the tent. It was Sarah and she had been listening. How absurd. We’re old, we don’t have pleasure any longer. And Sarah, after all these years will bear a child? Not possible.

    You know what He said? “Is anything too difficult for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son.” Genesis 18:14


    What an incredible story. Abraham and Sarah sought to obey the Lord so they packed up and went in search of the land of plenty. And here they were, in a lonely desolate place. They waited for years and years for that promised son to arrive, the one who would become the next in line and the first of a great nation of people. Nothing. Oh, they’d tried, but the result was a child by Sarah’s maid. But that wasn’t right. And, just when it seemed that it was all a great mistake, the Lord appeared again and said that they long awaited child would come in the next year.

    Genesis 18 offers a number of lessons for us. When things seem at their worst, if you’ve been given a promise, God will deliver. Even if you’ve done wrong and tried to fix things yourself, God’s plan is still the best. Have faith. Nothing is too difficult for the Lord.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment