Keeping Power of Saving Grace John 17:7-10

  • Tuesday, October 5, 2010
  • Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. John 17:7-10

    As we work through the Lord’s prayer as recorded in the 17th chapter of John, Tom this past Sunday outlined four questions which emerge with a careful reading of verses 7-10…

         1. How will God save my ‘unsaveable’ friend?
         2. Does Jesus pray for you?
         3. How is Christ ‘glorified’ in me?
         4. Am I safe forever?

    (1) How will God save my ‘unsaveable’ friend? (17:7-8)

           "For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them…”

    God has given ‘His Word’ to Jesus to give to us!

           So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. Rom. 10:17

    We must then listen and accept these words…

           "They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me” John 17:8

    We come to understand that Christ came from God the Father… We "know" this truth about Christ… In short the message IS the messenger!
          
             In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1

    We believe that Christ was indeed sent from God as the one and only "good news" and gospel for the human race for those whom the Father chooses…
          
            "…just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy  and blameless before Him..." Ephesians. 1:4

    (2) Does Jesus pray for you? (17:9)
    Yes!

           I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. John 17:9

          Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because He always lives to intercede for them. Heb. 7:25


    What more needs to be said?!

    (3) How is Christ glorified in me? (17:10)
    Did you notice why this question arises?

           All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. John 17:10

    How do I bring glory to HIM???

    My rescue from sin and death is accomplished by Jesus the Son who desires that we be transformed…

           “and everyone who has this hope fixed on Him, purifies himself, just as He is pure” 1 John 3:3

    so that we can be with Him

           "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus  Christ…" Philippians 3:20
    …and be like Him!

           “…who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.” Philippians 3:21

    (4) Am I Eternally Safe? (17:11-12,15)
    (more on this next week!) but for now…

    I have been saved
    REGENERATION—salvation accomplished

    I am being saved
    SANCTIFICATION—salvation working in and working out

           And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren; and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. Rom. 8:28-30

    I will be saved
    GLORIFICATION—salvation completed

           We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, for we shall see Him just as He is. 1 Jhn 3:2

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment