But if we can step back and reflect, as Pastor Tom did this past Sunday, pillars of truth emerge...the bark of the tree gives way to a lush and beautiful forest! Proverbs has much to say regarding the family and keeping it spiritually strong in a pagan world. But first, remember this command from the Book of Deuteronomy.
"And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up." Deuteronomy 6:6-7
TALK: "And these words, which I am commanding you today..."
"When I was a son to my father, tender and the only son in the sight of my mother, then he taught me and said to me, 'Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments and live; acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will guard you; Love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is: acquire wisdom; and with all your acquiring, get understanding.'" Proverbs 4:3-7
- Be continually tellers of the truth...tellers of the gospel
- Tell the family's life and spiritual story
- Highlight visitations of God along the journey
- Discuss all major and most minor decisions...they effect the whole
- Provide both dad's AND mom's perspectives
- Practice the art of listening - Proverbs 18:13
- Keep private matters private! - Proverbs 17:9
"My son, do not reject the discipline of the LORD, or loathe His reproof, for whom the LORD loves He reproves, even as a father, the son in whom he delights." Proverbs 3:11-12
"In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, and his children will have refuge." Proverbs 14:26
- Love enough to properly correct
- Declare truth with true love...truth declared without a context of love simply hardens an already hard heart
- Begin and end each day with love expressed - "When you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up..."
- Make your home a refuge in the time of storms
"By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the LORD one keeps away from evil." Proverbs 16:6
- Never EVER lie to your family...have a zero-tolerance policy for lying
- Let biblical values permeate your home
- Carefully distinguish between what is "absolute" and what is "personal preference" from your own experience or bent
- Let eternal values overrule lesser desires
- Lean on God...not parenting skills
"A gray head is a crown of glory; it is found in the way of righteousness." Proverbs 16:31
- Nothingof value grows without time
- Great families are not born...they are grown
- Quality time is rarely scheduled time
- Major on making memories not regrets
- Stop waiting for the perfect time...it is gone!
- Don't let your family miss the value of today...don't wish time away